All About Electrolysis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Keywords

blend  

Latest topics
» Thread for Rosedust
One Touch/ finally free EmptySun Nov 01, 2015 6:13 pm by Seana

» Buying a used machine
One Touch/ finally free EmptyThu Oct 08, 2015 3:00 pm by Seana

» -Information on this category
One Touch/ finally free EmptyWed Oct 07, 2015 6:05 pm by Seana

» Used Equipment ads
One Touch/ finally free EmptyWed Oct 07, 2015 2:44 am by Seana

» The learning resource thread
One Touch/ finally free EmptyTue Oct 06, 2015 9:01 pm by Seana

» New DIY laser scam device....the ME!
One Touch/ finally free EmptyTue Oct 06, 2015 3:16 pm by Seana

» One Touch/ finally free
One Touch/ finally free EmptyTue Oct 06, 2015 3:06 pm by Seana

» Hairtell announcement
One Touch/ finally free EmptyWed May 20, 2015 4:38 am by Seana

» Ok guys talk here
One Touch/ finally free EmptyFri May 15, 2015 2:19 pm by Seana

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

One Touch/ finally free

2 posters

Go down

One Touch/ finally free Empty One Touch/ finally free

Post by Seana Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:31 pm

I was highly tempted to include this electrolysis instrument into the "scam" category , except , to some degree it is not a scam, as in , it does actually perform some permanent hair removal. It is possible to permanently disable a hair follicle wit this at-home device. And DIY-ers have largely been very taken with this little device. So why do I consider it a scam? Well lets look at what it is, and it's history in the DIY world.

I started , as a trangender person, looking at various forms of hair removal, 15 or so years ago. One of the devices I found information on, was the One touch at home kit. These little devices were made by the millions, and retailed for around $30-$35 in every neibourhood drug store or walmart. So what is it and how does it work?

The device shown here:
http://www.simplyhairremoval.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/one-touch-permanent-hair-remover-system.jpg

is a One Touch home electrolysis kit. Looking at it you will notice it's few features. It has a single dial to control the intensity ( What electricians call a "pot" or variable resistor a cheap pair of tweezers and what looks like a probe holder with a little cord that goes to the main unit. Closer inspection shows this probeholder has a metal band around it.
What happens is this, there is a 9v DC battery inserted intot he base. This battery forms the basis of a DC circuit that goes through the variable resistor to the little probe at the end of the probeholder through your skin, and to your finger which is in contact with that little metal band. This forms the basis of a galvanic electrolysis, current is being diected through the probe down the follicle to the root, where it interacts with the saline in the follicle to produce lye. Lye is what kills the follicle and then the hair is removed. This is all great in theory, but does it work? Well , yes it does do this. If you manage to get a probe inserted to the correct depth and complete the circuit then yes it is possible to premanently remove a hair with lye. This is the basics on which electrolysis has been performed for well over 100 years at this point. Where the one touch fails, is in it's implementation.
Lets take a closer look at the one touch, and it's inherent flaws. On the surface that this thing can actually permently remove hair, seems like it would be a perfect fit for DIY'ers. Why do I give it a bad rap?

Lets start with it's general construction. The one touch was made as cheaply as it could with only one goal in mind, something they could sell millions of because people would use it once or twice, get frustrted with it, and toss it in the bottom drawer of their bathroom without a second thought. It was made as cheaply as possible, with very thin wires put together very poorly. There is more than one account of these things expiring in a puff of smoke never to be used again.
The way one completes the circuit, is by taking a salt water soaked finger , and touching the metal band on the probe-holder. These metal bands are very thin, and quickly exhibit rust from the salt water.

Then there is the probe-holder, and the probes themselves. The way this works is the probes are spring loaded, and you push a little button to expose the tip that goes into the skin. This is very fidgety, especially when you are ALSO trying to maintain contact with a metal band. The end result is that the probe is very difficult to eject to insert into the hair follicle and known for extracting itself when slippery salt-water soaked fingers inadvertently let go of the little slide button. Some DIY'ers have goten around this by bending the probe slightly so it cant extract itself back into the probe holder.
The probes themselves only come in one size, roughly the equivelent of an F6 probe. To put this in perspective F6 is usually the largest size most electrologists use on the largest hairs. Though there are larger, it is considered too large for use in the finer hairs. Usually an electrologist who utilizes large probes uses microscope level magnification, but such magnifiction is not available to any DIYer. Your average person is going to struggle at best to insert the poorly designed one touch into any of their follicles. The probes are constructed of mild steel and are uninsulated. Some creative DIY'ers have tried to use clear nail polish on them to insulate them, but this will break down and really doesnt work in the long term. The probes do not come pre-sterilized in a sealed pouch. Any electrologist in the world will tell you that to not use sterilized probes is a health hazard.

Cost wise, the probes or tips are usually in the rage of $15-$20 for a package of 3, that is if you can find them at all oh and plus shipping.If you bend a probe and need to replace it, then this is roughly 3-4 times the cost of using a pre-sterilize probe on a professional electrolysis machine.Because the probes are made of mild steel, they do bend exceedingly easily, most especially when someone struggling with inserting at all is doing their first insertions.

Now, the DIY sector is ever so creative. I cannot count how many how-to, wiring diagrams and modifications I have seen over the years in relation to the one touch in order to make this little device function as it should as an honest to goodness electrolysis machine. People have replaced the probe-holders with ones from professional machines, added DC wall warts to replace the 9V battery, added switches and foot pedals .What all these hacks have in common however, is that they all tke a certain amount of electrical knowledge and skill, all cost money to implement, and dont have any guarantee of working. In all practicality because of the ONE Touches poor initial construction, it isnt well suited to being modified into a professional level electrolysis machine. You would likely spend more money modifying a machine than it would cost to get a good used professional machine from the used market.
As a final stab at the one touch, I would point out that even with the best crafted modifications, it is after all is said and done, a galvanic electrolysis only capable machine.Galvanic is the oldest, but also the slowest method of performing electrolysis, with most electrologists working primarily in either blend or thermolysis.

I and every electrologist I know will recommend one thing when it comes to the one touch, dont waste your time. If you are seriously seeking to do hair removal, especially on your face, then it is much easier and safer with professional grade equipment. I regularly see older professional machines for as little as $200 , that are far safer and more functional that a one touch or finally free. Dont waste your time with this little device.

Seana
Seana
Seana

Back to top Go down

One Touch/ finally free Empty RE:One Touch/ finally free

Post by SFelectrolysis Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:16 am

I remember this little unit! When I was a teen, I purchased it at wallgreens (drugstore chain). Probably paid $20-30 dollars for it. That was kinda pricey for a teen back then. That epilator didn't do a damn thing lol ! I didn't even get any probes .. and I think i was too young and embarrassed to return it back to the store, so I was one of many who did exactly as you described.. tossed it in the back of a drawer somewhere .

What about this day in age 'No-No!"

SFelectrolysis

Back to top Go down

One Touch/ finally free Empty Re: One Touch/ finally free

Post by Admin Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:51 am

The No-No adds drive me absolutely crazy. They should have named it "No. Seriously NO. get that thing away from me" . They have been trashed in consumer review after review many showing dishonest business practises. But Google ads accepts advertisements from these jokers, and sites like hairtell ( and this one) are supported by ads. Every time I see one of the sads I flag it as inappropriate, I figure if I do that enough times google will get the hint, but he next time I refresh the page it refreshes to a brand new NONO add.
For anyone seriously considering one of these things dont. There are reports of them burning consumers with the inside element, which does nothing to prevent hair growth. Think running a toaster element over your skin, and you are getting pretty close. The company has gone to all kinds of measures to prevent returns. I beg of every last consumer, give this one a pass!

Seana

Admin
Admin

https://electrolysisinfo.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Seana Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:10 am

Ok, so apparently I'm dumb and answered that without logging out the Admin account first. Oh well.
Seana
Seana

Back to top Go down

Post by Seana Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:06 pm

I'm going to use this thread to respond to Dona since the information is relevant  to that discussion.

I'm not apparently allowed to make certain referrals there, so I'm taking the interaction off the board as requested. Sowwy...sometimes drama happens at hairtell. That's why stuff is gone. I'm probably not going to be posting as much to hairtell as a result.

Good choice....

I'm not sure there is way to render those probes sterile. As I understand it, they are made of mild steel and have a plastic housing which would be damaged by heat.

You can try this add from ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ELECTROLYSIS-MAC...=item2ee6ec061d

or this one from kijiji:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-buy-sell-other/ga...gationFlag=true

There have been some successful modifications of the one touch to use a probe holder from a professional machine ( and thus take sterile f shank probes), but I wouldnt bother.

I'm going to echo a recommendation from one of my clients I referred to James located here:
https://electrolysisinfo.board-directory.net/t14-james-w-walker#31 I actually have more from this person, with equally glowing recommendation. If looking for a mentor or even just someone to bounce questions off, he would be a first choice in my opinion.

James has helped me a lot with big issues and small and has been extremely supportive of DIY'ers learning electrolysis. Feel free to hit him up with any serious questions.

Seana

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum